ELECTROMAGNETIC SIMULATION FOR POWER, GROUNDING AND LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEMS
XGSLab (or shortly XGS) is one of the most powerful software of electromagnetic simulation for power, grounding and lightning protection systems and the only software on the market that takes into account International (IEC/TS 60479-1:2005), European (EN 50522:2010) and American (IEEE Std 80-2000 and IEEE Std 80-2013) Standards in grounding system analysis.
- EASY: A program with an intuitive interface. Very easy even for beginners. Users expert with competitors tools can directly use XGS.
- WORLDWIDE: The only software in the market that takes into account International (IEC), European (EN) and USA (IEEE) standards.
- VALIDATED: Accuracy validated since 1990 by comparison with analytical cases, published research, field measures, and similar programs.
- COMPLETE: A complete tool for the simulation of Power, Grounding and Lightning Systems.
- ADVANCED: Based on full-wave PEEC model and then suitable for general applications, in a wide frequency range, with arbitrary conductors arrangements and many soil models including multilayer.
- OPEN: Frequency dependent self and mutual impedances can be exported to EMTP® to study the dynamic behavior of grounding systems. Layout data can be imported / exported from / to AutoCAD®. Numerical output can be read by MATLAB® or EXCEL®.
- POWERFUL: A powerful code that uses parallel computing.
XGSLab includes the modules:
- GSA (GROUNDING SYSTEM ANALYSIS) for basic application with underground systems
- GSA_FD (GROUNDING SYSTEM ANALYSIS in the FREQUENCY DOMAIN) for general applications with underground systems
- XGSA_FD (OVER AND UNDERGROUND SYSTEM ANALYSIS in the FREQUENCY DOMAIN) for general applications with overhead and underground systems
- XGSA_TD (OVER AND UNDERGROUND SYSTEM ANALYSIS in the TIME DOMAIN) for general applications with overhead and underground systems
- NETS (NETWORK SOLVER) to solve full meshed multiconductors networks
The modules GSA, GSA_FD, XGSA_FD and XGSA_TD integrate the module SRA (Soil Resistivity Analysis) and XGSA_TD integrates also the module FA (direct / inverse Fourier Analysis).
The application field of these four modules is wide because they are based on the PEEC (Partial Element Equivalent Circuit) method, a numerical method for general applications powerful and flexible and perfectly suitable for engineering purposes.
This method allows the analysis of complex scenarios including external parameters such as voltages, currents and impedances.
The implemented PEEC method solves the Maxwell equations in full wave conditions taking into account the Green functions for propagation, the Sommerfeld integrals for the earth reaction, the Jefimenko equations for electric and magnetic fields and moving from the frequency to the time domain by means the Fourier transforms.
These four modules can import data from “dxf” files, and also export data and results in “dxf” files with a full interactivity with CAD tools.
The module NETS is based on the phase components method and integrates specific routines for the calculation of the parameters of lines, cables and transformers.
All modules are integrated in an “all in one” package and provide professional numerical and graphical output useful to investigate any electromagnetic greatness.
All algorithms implemented in XGS are highly efficient in terms of computation speed and have been validated and tested by many Customers in the world.
XGS is easy to use by engineers who need not to be necessarily experts in the specific field, and moreover accurate, stable and fast.
Everything possible has been done to enhance user friendliness and increase productivity to this powerful tool.
APPLICATIONS OF THE DIFFERENT MODULES
The following table summarizes the main applications of GSA. GSA_FD and XGSA_FD.
|Grounding (equipotential systems)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Grounding (general conditions)||Yes||Yes|
|Cathodic Protection Systems||Yes||Yes|
|Fault Current Distribution||Yes|
XGSA_TD can be applied in order to analyse current and potential distribution in the time domain on underground and/or overhead conductors energized by means of current or voltage transient. Moreover, XGSA_TD can calculate the distributions of earth potentials and electric and magnetic fields in the time domain.
NETS is a tool based on circuit theory and then it is completely different form the other modules XGSLab modules based on the electromagnetic fields theory.
NETS can solve full meshed multi-conductor and multi-phase networks composed of multi-port cells connected by means of multi-port buses.
NETS can calculate potentials and currents in all ports in steady state or fault conditions and in particular can be used for the calculation of the fault current distribution in power networks.
GSA is a widely utilized and recognized module for earth grid calculations and design including soil resistivity analysis.
GSA is based on a PEEC static numerical model and to the equipotential condition of the electrodes and can analyse the low frequency performance of grounding systems composed by many distinct electrodes of any shape but with a limited size into a uniform or multilayer soil model.
Tags: corona effects evaluation, Multiconductors network solver, Earthing design software, Grounding design software, lightning protection design, electromagnetic simulation, cathodic protection design, earthing system design, earthing software, grounding software, grounding system design